Nzema Kotoko played as hosts to Skyy FC at Enzuloano in Match week 9 of the 2020/2021 season of the DOL in what the home team fans dubbed as ‘a must win game’.

Skyy FC, on the other hand were looking for a win to boost their chances of topping the table.

Akesse Akesse, Nzema Kotoko’s talisman had promised the Nzema fans that he will end his goal drought against Skyy FC. George Wilson, the team Manager had also promised the fans 2 goals against Skyy FC so there was optimism among the fans and the technical team, especially when they were playing at their favourite grounds.

The home team started on bright note, piling pressure and seeking to get an early goal. The 3 man attack led by Akesse Akesse, Ali Muftawu and Felix Bremen gave the Skyy fc defence a hello of time in the first 15 minutes but failed to score.

It was after the 15th minute that the away team started to take control of the game. Shaibu Tahiru, Benjamin Aboagye Dacosta and Oteng Gyetua began to win the midfield battle forcing the home team to now resort to long balls trying to attack from the wings. The excellent midfield play from skyy got them good chances but the attackers were wasteful. Mamatah wasted a one-on-one opportunity in the 20th minute.

In the 25th minute, Adu-Kwaw was played through by the Ohene Nimo after a breakdown in attack by Nzema Kotoko, surrounded by 3 players, he found Mamatah just on the edge of the 18 box. Mamatah dribbled his way through 3 defenders and squared the ball which found Musa Baba Hamadu who just tapped in, giving the away team a lead in the 26th minute.

The home team came back strong trying to level but that was not to be. The referees ended the first half with skyy leading 1:0.

In the second round, Skyy took control of the game, created a lot of chances but wasted them. The defence and midfield of the away team had become too difficult for Nzema Kotoko to break down.

Ebenezer Ocran replaced Benjamin Aboagye Dacosta in the 58th minute in a purely tactical substitution. Ocran was to help win the aerial balls since the home side had resorted to long balls and inswingers.

Adu-Kwaw was once again played through by Oteng in the 79th minute, he controlled the ball at the left side of the 18 box, located on coming Mamatah who headed home the ball, giving the visitors a 2:0 lead.

Sensing a home defeat, the home side threw more men upfront trying to get a consolation and a possible equaliser but Martin Owusu and his charges were resolute.

John Asmah was injured in the 84th minute. He could not continue so Samuel Arthur replaced him, took charge of the right back duties while Martin Owusu shifted to Central defence to partner Ebenezer Acquah.

The game was 2:0 in favour of the away side after 90 minutes. 5 minutes of injury time almost elapsed when the referee awarded the home side a penalty. Akesse Akesse took the spot kick excellently, finding the back of the net to give the home side a consolation goal.

The win takes Skyy FC to 19 points after 9 matches.

Leave a Reply